Back to school is the perfect time to take a special photo commemorating their new year of learning! Here are some tips and ideas on making back to school pictures creative + easy!
- Plan ahead. If you’d like to do something unique then be sure to set aside enough time in the morning to take those pictures!
- If you are taking the picture outdoors place your kiddo in some shade so the light is even on their face. You may consider capturing the classic on the porch picture!
- If you are taking the picture indoors open all the windows and place them directly facing a window that does not have harsh light coming through- that way you get the most even lighting.
- For more tips on taking pictures with your phone- see my post from back to school 2 years ago! Click here.
Now for some fun ideas to make your back to school portraits unique:
- Make a collage every year to share with family- adding previous year images along with the new image. It will be fun every year to see how much they’ve grown!
- Always have them stand in front of a certain object in your home or in a certain place. Growing up we always took a sibling picture on the porch or by the mailbox (waiting for the bus). It’s fun to have a recurring theme.
- Use sidewalk chalk to spell out their grade and have them sit by it!
- Get an apple and put their grade number/letter on it with stickers!
- Have a special chalkboard you use every year!
- Have a simple pose list planned like:
- child 1 with sign, close up
- child 1 with sign, full body
- child 1 with sign propped next to backpack jumping
(repeat above for each kid)
- all children together with signs near backpacks jumping together
- all children together holding signs full body
- all children together holding signs closeup
I’m feeling a bit nostalgic so here are a few “vintage” pics of me haha
I hope these tips and ideas helped!! Let me know if you have any special traditions below!